National Guard Special Forces Green Beret Active Duty Green Berets

Special Forces and Airborne tabs

We welcome individuals who are already tabbed, either coming directly from Active Duty or with a reasonable break in service.



Do I have to live in the state that I join?

No, you don't. You have the flexibility to join any state with slots for your MOS, however proximity is encouraged as it allows you to take advantage of short-notice opportunities. Some individuals fly across the country to attend drill, but this is done out of pocket.

There are no Special Forces units in my state; which one should I join?

We recommend joining the state closest to your location. The closer you are, the more connected you can stay, which typically yields more opportunities. Some people choose to join units far away for various reasons, and while this is possible, you will be responsible for your travel to drill.

Am I paid to travel?

It depends on the type of order you are under. When traveling to monthly drill, you are not always compensated for mileage or airfare. This varies from state to state: Utah, for examples, pays up to $300 for travel, but others don't pay anything. This is something that we are trying to fix. More often than not, whenever you travel you travel with full per diem.

What if I move somewhere else? Can I transfer to a different Group/Company?

You can transfer to any unit you want provided slots are available. Moving to a different state (an Inter-State Transfer) is somewhat more involved, but still doable.

What are my responsibilities?

The minimum requirements are the same as any other National Guard unit: two days a month and two weeks a year. How this is broken up is dependent on where specifically you are (i.e. two months may be combined into one). Beyond the minimum you can almost always chose to do more: attend schools, fill taskings, or assist in training.

What is the minimum enlistment?

1 year.

How does pay work?

Pay in the National Guard is more complex. Essentially all your pay is prorated for the number of days you work, with a few exceptions:

  • Language Proficiency Pay is paid in full regardless of how many days you work
  • If you work for 30 days or less continuously, you receive Type II BAH, which is less than normal BAH
  • A weekend drill, also known as a MUTA 4, equals 4 days worth of pay

Are there any bonuses available?

This varies and changes on a whim. Generally you'll get $5,000 for 3 years or $10,000 for 6 years, but this is not always the case. Contact us for the current numbers.

Are there schools to attend?

There are almost always slots available to various schools. With one or two exceptions, National Guard Special Forces has slots to all schools. The same dynamics in Active Duty apply here as well regarding who gets slots.

Are there language requirements?

Yes, the same language requirements apply. There are almost always language courses available, however, at several locations.

What happens if I miss drill?

With the approval of the chain of command, you can make up missed drills but you have to do so either a month prior or a month after the missed days. The National Guard intends to move to a system requiring CAC-authentication at drills.

Can I deploy?

Yes, you can. People deploy individually, augmenting Active Duty Groups, and in bigger units (anywhere from a team to a battalion). The ease of deploying or mobilizing depends on a number of factors, including your individual unit and existing plans. Finding out about opportunities tends to be the difficult part.

Can I take a break from deploying?

Certain states, such as Alabama, have a 2-year stabilization guarantee, meaning that if you came from Active Duty and have recently deployed, you can not be involuntarily mobilized to deploy.

Explain the difference between Title 10 and Title 32 orders

The National Guard is unique in that you can work under multiple Titles and Authorities. Title 10 orders are Federal orders, meaning that you are essentially filling the same role as Active Duty troops. Title 32 are State orders which place you under the command of the state. This allows you to assist in domestic situations, such as disaster relief or counter-drug operations. Being able to fall under either of these Titles allows you a far greater array of jobs.

How does medical coverage work?

If you're active for less than 30 consecutive days, you receive limit medical benefits. Any injuries sustained over this time will be considered a "Line of Duty" and essentially requires more paperwork to appropriately handle. There is no family coverage for periods under 30 days. If you are active for more than 30 days, you (and your family) receive the same benefits that Active Duty personnel receive.

Can I purchase additional insurance?

Tricare Reserve Select is available for approximately $50 for you or $200 for your entire family per month.

How does retirement work?

Retirement is a bit different and more complex than in Active Duty. Your Active time will of course transfer over. Read the Army National Guard Retirement page to learn more.

Who do I talk to in order to join?

Send us a message using the form which will pop-up after you click on a state below. If you're still on Active Duty and want to transition without a break in service, you should also contact the Reserve Transition office on the base where you are currently stationed, we can assist you with locating this office and the current SF POC. Also, we travel to each Active Group location assisting with transition briefings and meeting with those who are interested in joining Guard SF upon their ETS, let us know if you would like to meet in person to discuss life in Guard SF.



Click a state to contact

Click a state to contact

19th Special Forces Group legend (blue) 19th Group 20th Special Forces Group legend (red) 20th Group